Thursday, March 29, 2012

default instance vs named instance

How can I determine if the sql instance I have is the default instance or a
named instance?
Secondly how do I adjust a named instance to be the default instance?
Lastly if I have 2 servers configured identically (one working as a
production server and the other as a backup server) and a problem arises wit
h
the production server can I simply just switch IP's and have the backup
server quickly become the production? Is this a standard practice Or will I
have to preform more adjustments?
Thanks
DreSELECT @.@.Servername (<InstanceName> for default,
Servername\<InstanceName> for named ones)
"Secondly how do I adjust a named instance to be the default instance?"
AFAIK thats not possible, you can only deinstall and reinstall
everything cause even the Windows services have to be rebuilt from the
setup.
HTH, jens Suessmeyer-|||Two servers cannot have same name, so you to name them different with
different IP addresses. When the production server fails you have to
update your internal DNS for production server to point backup server.sql

No comments:

Post a Comment