Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Default Encoding when saving a file in SSMS

Hi All

Is there a way (e.g. via Registry) to change the default encoding settings from UNICODE to a different encoding?

Thanks

Martin

Just want to know why you want it in registry hack way: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlprogrammability/archive/2006/07/07/659375.aspx fyi.|||

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I understand what this blog is saying and most databases could switch to UNICODE and the errors in losing character information would have been resolved.

We are using software working with the ANSI standard. If I extract a stored procedure with the SSMS, fix or extend it, save it and distribute the stored procedure file with that tool to other databases, the tool fails unless I store it as an ANSI file not an UTF-16 (SSMS standard) file.

Therefore it would be very helpful for me if I could choose the default file format when saving files within the SSMS.

So I'm not exactly talking about the character standard of the database. I'm just having an issue with the default character format with the SSMS when saving a file.

Any idea how to resolve this?

Thanks

Martin

|||

I'm afraid there isn't a way to specify a different default encoding.

Please file your suggestion at http://connect.microsoft.com/sqlserver. When the development team is considering what features to implement, one of the criteria is whether a customer has actually requested it.

Thanks,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment