Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Default Filegrowth

Can anyone comment as to why MS would have changed the default filegrowth for data files from 10% to 1MB in 2005? I just got unpleasantly surprised by that one. I cannot come up with a reason for this change other than maybe autogrowth of data files is deemed irrelevent with instant file initialization.Aynway, you can change that by setting the default growth of the model database file to your appropiate value which will act as a template for new databases.

HTH, Jens K. Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de|||

Hello Jens -

That was my first thought as well, but I think it is only partially true. If you create your database with SSMS, then yes changing model will help you. If, however, you use CREATE DATABASE, then the default will always be 1 MB. Therefore, as a DBA you must always be mindful of this change since the databases you support could be created in any number of ways (manually, install programs, consultants, etc.).

I still cannot think of a scenario where there is an advantage to having 1 MB instead of 10% as the default. Seems like a regression to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment